- The law provides that no person may be evicted from their home without a Court Order, and without the Court having considered whether such an eviction would be just and equitable.
Some of the factors that a Court takes into account in this type of enquiry are:
- Whether there are any vulnerable members of society, such as children or the elderly, staying at the premises?
- Whether there is any alternative accommodation that can be found, or provided by the local municipality?
- Whether the tenants are employed and in a financial position to secure alternative accommodation?
- Any other factors that the tenant wishes to place before the Court that s/he deems relevant to their personal situation.
- Everyone in South Africa is entitled to seek legal representation or is entitled to represent themselves.
- A tenant has the obligation to continue to pay their rental during this time and if they fail to do so, a landlord may take legal action against them to recover this amount.